Saturday, November 17, 2012

Footless Tights, You Make Me Miserable

And in my first post in two weeks, I'm pondering one of life's big important questions...

What is the deal with footless tights?!  I cannot figure out the purpose of them.  I own a few pairs, but I never wear them.  I'm not even sure where they came from.  I think I may have accidentally bought them, thinking they were "real" tights.  Each time I pull them out of my drawer, and work a foot down into them, only to have it pop out the bottom again, I growl in frustration, tear them off, and throw them back.  I should probably just get rid of them, but I hate to waste something that *might* have potential...if only I could understand why they even exist.  Maybe I'm just using them wrong?

Tell me: in what sort of situation would they be preferred to tights with feet?  I just can't conceive of a time where it would be cold enough to want to cover your legs with tights, and yet you...what?  Want to wear open-toed shoes?!  That doesn't even make sense!  But why else would you want bare feet? When I am occasionally forced by a lack of footed tights to wear the footless ones, I end up putting socks on top which just looks stupid.  I can see why the footless aspect would work if, say, you're wearing boots, and no one will see the juncture between tights and bare ankle.  But I would assume you'd still want to wear socks on your feet anyways.  And wouldn't footed tights, or footed tights + socks work just as well??

Can anyone explain this?
This looks weird.  Does anyone agree?

Not wearing any shoes in this example.  This is not helpful.

With heels?  People really dress like this?


So after pondering those images for a minute, I think that maybe the answer is, it's not a "practical" concern whatsoever.  It's just a really dumb-looking style statement that I'll never understand.  (Sorry to anyone who wears these.  I'm just not a fan.)

12 comments:

  1. I would buy them for my daughter who likes to wear leggings or shorts with her gymnastics leotard, but can't wear tights with feet to them. But, other than that, I am not sure. I did see some yesterday when I was out at the store, and I was really, really hoping people were not going to purchase them and mistake them for pants. I've seen enough people wearing leggings who should never wear leggings...and I wouldn't put it past some of those people to think that footless tights are just another form of leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty tall and usually tights are not long enough, so if I were a person who wears boots I could see getting the footless tights and wearing heavy socks and boots with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I wear them--with boots. I like them better than regular tights because I'm tall, and I don't have to constantly adjust them at the top like I often do with regular tights. Why don't you just wear yours when you're wearing boots? (Also, I don't really get the footless tights and flats look either, at least not for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wear them with ballet flats, but it has to be with the right skirt and the right shirt to make it all work well. I have to say I haven't worn them though since I stopped teaching all day when Matthew was born. I'm pretty sure that was a cool style right up until that time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one pair I wear with a particular dress or under boots with socks. They seem impractical but for certain outfits, I find that they work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could always use them to wash stuffed animals in....Just tie both ends lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard Hallie Lord of Moxie Wife talking about wearing them under a dress to keep her underwear from showing. I think I'd wear them if my skirt was too short and I was afraid of bending over and showing underwear. Then again, I don't wear anything shorter than knee length so I don't think I'd ever have that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmm...but they seem unnecessarily long, if your reason is just to cover underwear. I have a slip with legs...well, it's basically "silky lace-edged boxer shorts for women" - haha. But they work nicely under shorter skirts or if you're going to be dancing, twirling, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't footless tights just leggings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...leggings are thicker, and can legitimately be worn as "pants." Footless tights are just as thin and stretchy as normal tights.

      Delete
  11. I think I owned a pair in the '80s and wore them once. I don't like to wear things that I already wore in my youth.

    ReplyDelete