Friday, May 27, 2011

Diaper Covers Saving the Day!

My BFF is in town right now, so Sly and I hung out with her today. We had to go into another part of the city so I could look at a rental property this morning (Tom and I are starting to look at places, even though our lease isn't up until the end of the year. We are definitely ready to move somewhere new!). We had decided to stay out in the city afterwards to browse shops, get lunch, and just catch up. I didn't change Sly's diaper before we left, since there wasn't a lot of time. I knew the diaper bag was in the car, and figured I'd take care of it later.

Well, "later" came soon enough, and he really needed a change (it was just a lot of "number 1", not "number 2", thankfully!). I broke out the diaper bag, only to find that there were NO diapers left inside. Last time I'd checked, there were at least two. Now, I don't want to name names....But let's just say that someone must have changed Sly with the last diaper, and then not informed his wife that the bag needed to be refilled.

I dug and dug through the bag, hoping to find something that could serve as a temporary diaper. The only possibility was one dirty burp cloth. If Sly had been wearing a disposable diaper, that would have been no help at all. But he had on a pre-fold with a COVER. So I swapped out the diaper, and slipped in the tiny folded up burp cloth, praying he at least wouldn't need to poo!

As soon as we found a public bathroom, I plopped Sly on the diaper changing board, and heaped a TON of folded-up paper towels on top (and the burp cloth was already soaked through, the little stinker!).

And you know what? It worked out fine. I wouldn't trust this solution for hours and hours, but he made it without any leaks until we got home - three hours later. And it was all possible because he had on a cloth cover to begin with. Otherwise, we would have had to call it a day, and go home. Or stop at a store and spend a fortune on a small package of disposables.

So. I'll just log that into my growing mental list of why cloth diapers are totally the way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment