Friday, May 20, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 5)


1. As I've mentioned a couple times this week: it's official! Sly is finally crawling! It's still very cute to watch. But I probably only think that because he hasn't totally destroyed anything yet. That's not to say that he isn't getting his little hands on everything he can, and making messes. You can tell exactly where he's been in the room, because he likes to leave his own little "signature" touch.


2. Making Catholic news this week, England and Wales have re-established meatless Fridays for the whole year round! I'm pretty excited by this news. Fridays were long observed as days of abstinence (from meat) in the Church. But 50 or so years ago, most of the bishops decided that it would be better if people could choose a particular sacrifice for Fridays, which no longer had to be obligatorily the abstinence from meat. And guess what happened? Catholics happily started eating meat on Fridays, and then most of them never really remembered the part about giving up something else in its place.

A lot of Traditional-leaning Catholics, our family included, do abstain from meat on Fridays. I think bringing that back as an obligatory practice would have several benefits. It would remind people the value of sacrifice, call Catholics to reflect on the Passion more often, and unite the members of Christ's body through common practice.

Friday is a day when it is sometimes annoying not to be able to eat meat. It's the start of the weekend - people like to go out to restaurants, or attend parties. There are yummy, tempting meaty dishes you'd like to eat. But just like in Lent, doesn't it help when you see that all the other Catholics around you are also giving it up? Help you remember what it's all for?

And just think...if even a few Catholics who previously didn't do anything special on Fridays (probably out of ignorance), started giving up meat once a week - it would help them understand the spirit of sacrifice. And it could really add up to some serious graces over time. Not to mention that people's Lenten sacrifices would have to become a little more stringent. I mean, they couldn't just keep doing meatless Fridays in Lent, and add nothing else. Back when Catholics abstained every Friday of the year, Lent meant 40 days of FAST, man.

So I'm praying that the US bishops will see the wisdom in this return to traditional practice, and decide to renew it here as well.


3. This one will sound like it's coming out of nowhere, but...okay, so I've always had really HUGE muscular calves. Even during times when I'm not running, or doing sports. I think it's the way I walk. Many people have told me I sorta bounce up on my toes. Well, a lifetime of toe-walking has given me incredibly large muscles. And I really don't know how to feel about it....it's not like they are huge with fat. Having muscle is "healthy", so it seems wrong to be embarrassed or ashamed of them. But my legs will never ever look feminine or dainty.

Despite this fact, I still wear skirts most of the time. And I forget how ridiculous it must look. Until moments like today. When I uploaded our pictures from New York City. And saw this shudder-worthy image.


Okay, seriously. If you covered the top half of my body, you would be certain you were looking at a man's legs!


4. I have this really awesome vintage 60s chip-n-dip bowl. I picked it up at an antique shop a couple years ago, but didn't get a chance to use it until recently, since we had people over at our house! (can you tell that's rare?)


Tom had washed it the night before, and took the little dip bowl out of the metal holder to dry. The next morning, as I was trying to wedge it back in place, it just shattered in my hand (slicing my thumb at the same time). I was so bummed!

I tried, unsuccessfully, to search for a replacement part online. I found one person selling the entire set on eBay, but I really don't think I should spend the money for a whole new one. During my seach, though, I discovered the name of the piece. It's made by a company called Blendo, and the pattern is named "Atomic." Isn't that perfect for something so deliciously retro?!


5. Speaking of retro, earlier in the week, I found myself Youtube surfing (you know what I mean) through clips from the 1950s. A lot of them were education or propaganda-type videos about how to live in the 1950s.

Check out this amusing one: A Word to the Wives. It's about how a wife tricks her husband into buying her a house with an updated "modern" kitchen. tee hee hee

[Sorry, I'm not sure how to embed Youtube videos. I need to try to figure that out.]


6. My friend Mary will be proud, because following her example, I actually planned out this week's meals in advance! I waited until after I came home from the supermarket with a pile of groceries....but still. It's worked out fine so far. The biggest benefit I've noticed, surprisingly, is its effect on Tom. This week, he was able to gauge how much to eat (or not eat) at work, so he would come home appropriately hungry for the type of food we were eating. Also, he was excited all week about last night's "fried chicken" on the menu.

....Hey, I said I planned my meals. I didn't say I planned them all to be healthy :-P

7. Tom has been interviewing for a new position with his company, and they offered him the job today. So "yay!"...I guess. It's a promotion in terms of looking-good-on-the-resume. But pay-wise, maybe not. It really irritates me how his company can pull this stuff off, but basically, they "don't know yet" if they can give him a raise with the new job. And even if they can, it won't be applied until the next financial quarter.

Are there any Saints (besides St. Joseph), who are good with this stuff?


See Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes

2 comments:

  1. that's interesting about meatless meals are back in england and wales ... i hadn't heard.

    and i have muscular shoulders ... and still wear tank tops:))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm like a gazillion years late commenting on here - we've been so busy and I haven't been able to read blogs. Anyway, as I was catching up on here I just had to comment!

    1. Yay!

    2. That's so interesting! I totally didn't know about the give something else up on Fridays thing until maybe 8 months ago? Actually, more like almost a year ago, but it wasn't until 8 months ago that I finally was ready to do something about it. So we are also with you on meatless Fridays!

    3. Oh my gosh, I also have huge calves (although I lost some of my muscle in them since I haven't worked out much since Miriam was born). I'm going to have to go back and check out photos to see if that's what I look like sitting down, too! :)

    Ah, baby crying, no time for more comments!

    ReplyDelete