Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Miracle of (Plant) Life

I planted some starter tomato seeds a week or so ago. I've been faithfully watering them everyday, without any sign of sprouting. I checked on them last night before I went to bed, and there was still nothing. But this morning, around 11:30, here's what I saw.


It's amazing how quickly they appear!

Two little green seedlings


I'm looking forward to planting our little garden again this year. I've learned from a few of last summer's mistakes. Most importantly, that you should separate your flower and vegetable areas! The flowers that I planted last year (hyper-engulfing morning glories, and much-too-tall wildflowers) completely overtook some of our vegetable crops.

Our garden, last August. Believe it or not, this is a picture of the fence.
The big lump covered in morning glories is the gate, which could no
longer open!

This year, I think I'll try to get morning glories to grow up and cover the fences along the side of the backyard (should not be difficult at all! And they're very beautiful once they start blooming), but leave the back of the fence vine-free, as that is where we've built our little planting boxes. The crop list so far is carrots, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, and lavender.

Part of last summer's "harvest"

No comments:

Post a Comment